We found this recipe on Simply Recipes. "Classic ceviche (or seviche) recipe. How to make ceviche using the traditional Latin American method to prepare fresh fish - cubes of red snapper are cooked by lime and lemon juice. Serve this delicious ceviche wrapped in corn tortillas or with chips."
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinating Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- 2 lbs of firm, fresh red snapper fillets (or other firm-fleshed fish), cut into 1/2 inch pieces, completely deboned
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of chopped fresh seeded tomatoes
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Dash of ground oregano
- Dash of Tabasco or a light pinch of cayenne pepper
- Tortillas or tortilla chips
- In a non-reactive casserole dish, either Pyrex or ceramic, place the fish, onion, tomatoes, chili, salt, Tabasco, and oregano. Cover with lime and lemon juice.
- Let sit covered in the refrigerator for an hour, then stir, making sure more of the fish gets exposed to the acidic lime and lemon juices.
- Let sit for several hours, giving time for the flavors to blend. During the marinating process, the fish will change from pinkish grey and translucent, to whiter in color and opaque.
Serve with chopped cilantro and slices of avocado with heated tortillas for ceviche tacos or with tortilla chips.