Meat Packer Position
Meat Coordinator/Head Butcher
The Meat Packer, under the direction of the Meat Coordinator/Head Butcher, will primarily be responsible to ensure meat products are weighed, packaged, labeled, rotated and stored at the appropriate temperature and time to ensure the highest standards of freshness, minimize waste, and maximize quality. This position will clean and disinfect all equipment, tools and surfaces in the meat department in accordance with laid-down procedures, morning or evening routines, and hygiene requirements. This role will also ensure food is handled, stored, and cooked according to health and safety standards, and that proper cleanup occurs to meet health regulations. The Meat Packer must possess ability to take instructions and effectively handle changing priorities and demonstrated time management skills.
- Attention to Detail - Attends to details and pursues quality in the accomplishment of tasks, regardless of the volume of duties encountered.
- Time Management - Balances a myriad of tasks; prioritizes duties as needed.
- Continuous Improvement - Strives to improve job responsibilities through developing skills and increasing knowledge.
- Teamwork - Works cooperatively and effectively with others to reach a common goal. Participates actively in group activities fostering a team environment.
- Commitment to Health and Safety - Works in compliance with all applicable health and safety legislation and established policies and procedures.
- Communication - Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity.
- Professionalism - Demonstrates professional standards of conduct when governing interactions between individuals in a business environment.
- Client/Customer Focus - Provides superior service to both internal and external customers.
- Cultural Sensitivity - Promotes an inclusive environment exemplified by understanding all cultural groups.
- Organization - Able to create or maintain processes to ensure all relevant information or tools are easily accessible.
- Problem Solving - Able to break down a situation into smaller pieces to identify key issues and figure out cause and effect relationships in order to solve. Use logic and analytical methods to come to realistic solution.
- Ensure meat products are weighed, packaged, labeled, rotated and stored at the appropriate temperature and time to ensure the highest standards of freshness, minimize waste, and maximize quality
- Clean and disinfect all equipment, tools and surfaces in the meat department in accordance with laid-down procedures, morning or evening routines, and hygiene requirements
- Ensure food is handled, stored, and cooked according to health and safety standards, and that proper cleanup occurs to meet health regulations
- Ensure all equipment and tools are being used safely and according to provided direction. Train junior staff on the safe usage of vacuum sealers, grinder and any equipment they may be using (as required)
- Adhere to and enforce all appropriate workplace regulations, compliances, and legislation regarding health and safety, food preparation standards, and company policies and procedures
- Protect the health and safety of others by adopting safe work practices and reporting unsafe conditions immediately
- Help to raise the standards within the department and bring new concepts forth
- Greet customers with a smile and answer their questions as required
- Ability to take instructions and effectively handle changing priorities
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Ability to take constructive criticism
- Ability to regularly lift approximately 60 lbs
- Ability to foresee tasks that need to be done and bring it to the attention of senior staff
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Extended periods of standing in walk-in cooler, and freezers, and other physically demanding conditions
- Flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Occasional overtime